Friday, November 4, 2011

CAKEBALLS!

Hey-Oh, Readers!

Since we just celebrated Jeremy's 24th Birthday yesterday, I thought that I would share with you my very popular (and for good reason too) cakeball (also known as cake pops) recipe. However, I must give credit where it is due. Alas, I did not come up this this entirely on my own. My good friend Stacy Arnold gave me the base recipe, and I only just added some goodies to make them a homerun. So if you are so lucky to try one of mine, you owe Stacy some gratitude as well. 

Here we go:
You'll need the following:
1 cake mix (any flavor)
1/2 can of can frosting (any flavor)
1 package of chocolate chips (you can use any kind; white, semi-sweet etc. but I prefer dark chocolate because it helps the finished product not be overly sweet.)
*I also add in some chopped cookies or candy for texture and flavor
*Sprinkles to make them adorable

You start with a regular cake mix. You can use white, yellow, chocolate, funfetti, whatever floats your boat. But you will cook this exactly as it is instructed on the box.  When it is done, let it cool through. You don't want to be working with hot, or really even warm cake. You have to be a little patient...

Once the cake is thoroughly cooled off, crumble it into a large mixing bowl. (This is where I add the cookie or candy crumbles too....makes for a little better texture, and fun flavor.) Once you have crumbled your cake and added your treats, add half a can of frosting and mix it all up. (You might want to do this gradually so that you don't over frost them, or it becomes "soupy")

Now that you have mixed everything up, you're ready to make them into balls. I use a medium sized pampered chef cookie scoop for this. It keeps everything consistent in size, and keeps my hands clean.  Drop them on a cookie sheet covered in wax paper so they don't stick.

After this step, I will put them in the freezer so that they can set up a little more while I melt the chocolate chips on a double boiler. As I said before, I use dark chocolate to cut the sweetness, but that is up to you. Once you have your chocolate melted, you are ready to coat your cakeballs in it. I just dip the cake into the chocolate then let the excess run off of the sides. This can be very tedious, so you have been warned. Once all the extra chocolate has run off, I place the cake back on the wax papered cookie sheet. While the chocolate is still warm, I add crumbled cookies, candy, or sprinkles. (Often I will do a couple different cookies added into the balls, so this is also a good way to know what kind is what.) 

Once I have chocolate coated all of the cakeballs, I then refreeze them so the chocolate will stiffen.  This makes them a little bit easier to eat. 

The finished product is so incredibly tasty, I can't even tell you, so I will quote my friend Coty Gearin, "So @#$%ing good OMG I want more".


 I would have to agree. They are pretty dang tasty. Also, very cute. And addicting. Go make some NOW!

1 comment:

I love getting feedback! Let me know what you think here: